There are several options if you are considering acquiring Costa Rica Residency. The requirements to enter Costa Rica depend on your country of nationality. Generally, citizens from the United States, Canada, and European countries do not require a visa to enter Costa Rica. Instead, those citizens can enter Costa Rica with their valid passports and remain in the country for up to 90 days. If you are under 30 or 60-day category, then the law will allow you to apply for an extension of up to 90 days. If you have a 90-day visa then the law does not allow you to apply for an extension unless you leave the country and re-enter to obtain another tourist visa in Costa Rica. All residency applicants are processed by the Costa Rican Department of Immigration, which in turn overseen by the ministry of the Public Security and Police.

Costa Rica Residency grants foreign nationals from other countries the legal right to live in our beautiful country. If you are planning to permanently relocate yourself to Costa Rica, you should obtain Costa Rica residency status. There are two ways to obtain permanent residency

First is through a first-degree relation to a Costa Rican citizen. Second, is by holding a temporary residency for a period of almost three years. Permanent Costa Rica residency must be renewed every two years but this does not expire. A permanent resident may legally work in Costa Rica. A first-degree relationship includes children less than 25 years of age and parents of Costa Rican citizen, siblings or parents of disabled Costa Rican citizens, and minor siblings of Costa Rican citizens.


Temporary Costa Rica residency allows foreigners the right to live in Costa Rica for a period of time, usually from one to five years. The most common types of temporary residency are the annuity holder, investor, and retirees. Temporary residents are permitted to live, collect income from businesses, and own a business. As a temporary resident, you are subject to annual requirements and you may have to exchange a required amount of dollars each month.

If you are planning a Costa Rica Retirement and have pension or investment income, then you can qualify for Pensionado Residency. This kind of program is governed by the New Immigration Law, which confers residency status as pensioned-based residency or investment and income based residency.

Tourists from Canada, United States, and many European countries are permitted to enter Costa Rica for up to 90 days even without a visa. After 90 days, they are required to go outside the country for 72 hours. Perpetual tourists are the tourists who live in Costa Rica and renew their entrance permit every 90 days. The perpetual tourist is not considered illegal, but he has also not obtained legal residency in Costa Rica. Perpetual tourists have limited services. For example, they do not have permission to access public services such as the public health system. Additionally, perpetual tourists are not allowed to legally work in the country.